Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Article 220: 1-On-1: Arik Armstead

June 21, 2011

Elk Grove (Calif.) Pleasant Grove dual-sport athlete Arik Armstead has a bunch of numbers attached to his name.

In football, he's a four-star strongside defensive end, the No. 23 overall prospect in the nation in the Rivals100 and the third-best in the nation at his position.

In basketball, he's the No. 7-ranked prospect in the NorCalPreps 2012 Boys Basketball Top 40. He led Pleasant Grove to an 18-10 record this past sason while averaging 16 points and 10 rebounds.
 
At 6-foot-8 and 280 pounds, Armstead can run the 40-yard dash in 5.00 seconds, bench press 315 pounds, squat 480 pounds, and has a vertical of 30 inches.
 
While a dominant force on the gridiron, Armstead - a solid verbal commit to USC - ia also passionate about basketball as he plays the power forward position.
 
On his way to the USC Basketball Camp this past weekend, NCP asked Armstead about his basketball background, future, and interests.

Steve Hu of NCP: Who would you compare your basketball game to and why?
 
Arik Armstead: I have a unique game as I can play a big post but also can dribble and shoot from outside. I try to combine post players and wing players. I would say for a wing player, I like Carmelo Anthony for his post up and face up. For post players, I like Kevin Garnett and Dwight Howard and how they have good footwork and positioning.
 
NCP: Most people would assume football players who play basketball just rely on their brute, physical strength on the hard court. In your case, would you disagree with that and why?
 
AA: I disagree with that. Some may rely on both. I have played basketball longer than football as I started playing basketball at six years old. My dad at played at Sacramento State. My dad's workouts with me are guard focused. As a result, I have a lot of moves, can dribble, and can shoot. Straight brute strength won't work at the higher levels.
 
NCP: Pleasant Grove had a successful football season last year but the basketball team finished tied for third in the division. Aside from the obvious answers, what do you want to accomplish in your senior year in basketball and how will you achieve that?
 
AA: I want to go farther in the playoffs and help out as much as I can. I want to be more of a leader. I plan on helping on defense more, rebounding, and getting the ball to the guards to start the fast break. I will be a bigger post feed for my guards too.

NCP: Why play for the Compton Magic? What were some of the other reasons of having to make the journey to Southern California for your summer club team?

AA: Exposure is a big reason. Teammates Isaiah Austin (Grace Preparatory Academy) and Gabe York (Orange Lutheran) attract a lot attention at the games. Also, Armond played with the Compton Magic as well.
 
NCP: College football overlaps the college basketball season by over month - and longer if the football team has a January bowl game. How do you plan to make the transition mid-way into the basketball season?
 
AA: I plan to rest a few days and work out. Then, get the rust off and get shots up. The timing would have me playing right when the Pac-12 conference season begins. I would just try to play my way into the conference season.
 
NCP: From a professional perspective, is there anything that would convince you to give up either sport? As an example, if you were projected to be a high first round pick in either sport. Or is the end goal to play both sports professionally?
 
AA: I want to be the first person to play in both the NBA and NFL. I would continue to play in both sports even if I was not drafted in both. I would want to play in an NBA season right after its all star break.
 
NCP: How much of an influence does your brother's (Armond) sports experience impact you or will impact you? As an example, he is projected as a high NFL lineman prospect.
 
AA: He helps me a lot as I watched him through the recruiting process, his high school games, and his college games. I can see what I need to do to reach a high level.
 
NCP: You train with your father's training program, To The Hoop, which is a widely known basketball training service in the Sacramento area. What is it that you learn from his services and some of the professional basketball players that he has worked with?
 
AA: He's taught me everything I know. He was the first person to put a basketball in my hands. I also have watched the pro guys that he trains and observe their work ethic. I see how hard they work to make it and how to maintain their level. One of the players that my dad works with is Mike Wilks (10 year NBA player who went to Rice). He has stayed with my family for 10 summers. I learned from him on and off the court and how hard he works and how he approaches things in life and how he made it. I have also learned from watching Ryan Anderson and Matt Barnes who have also worked with my dad.
 
NCP: You have visited many colleges and USC in particular with your brother there. What do you want to major in college? What occupation would you pursue if you did not play sports? What kind of college experience are you looking for?
 
AA: I would want to major in Sports Management. Since USC does not have that major, I plan to go to Marshall Business School. I would want to start my own business something like training or being a sports agent. The college experience that I want is to get a good education, have a good college career, and be a better student athlete to help achieve my goals of playing both in the NBA and NFL.
 
NCP: Any other comments?
 
AA: People think basketball is a hobby for me. But I am serious about both sports. If people watch me, they will realize that as well.

NorCalPreps.com analyst Douglas Benton, who has been scouting since 2004, recently attended the Sacramento Professional Developmental League (basketball) to watch Armstead play.
 
"Arik played a sound game in the SPDL to finish with 14 points in scoring from different areas on the floor," Benton said. "He is in the mold of a face up power forward who you can use in the screen and roll game and also work off the ball going toward the basket. He highlighted his effort with a nice spin move to score in showing off some of his agility.
 
"As a football prospect, he has some of the best feet I've seen for a lineman prospect and should be very successful at the next level on either side of the ball. His future though is on the defensive line."

No comments:

Post a Comment

virool