Monday, June 6, 2011

Article 213: Monday Morning Quarterback

June 6, 2011

Malik Watson will be the starting quarterback for the Pittsburg High Pirates this upcoming season. Watson passed for 1,113 yards and 6 TDs in 6 games while he split time at the quarterback duty this past season. The 2012 prospect just received his first offer from Northern Arizona.

At 6-foot-2 and 205 pounds, Watson can run 4.80 seconds in the 40-yard dash, has a shuttle time of 4.33 seconds, can bench press 225 pounds, squat 405 pounds, has a vertical of 34 inches, and is able to throw a deep ball of 76 yards.

The current schools that are in contact with Watson include Arizona, Arizona State, Boise State, Cal, Colorado, Colorado State, Eastern Washington, Fresno State, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, Northern Arizona, Oregon State, San Diego State, San Jose State, UNLV, USC, Washington, and Washington State with his first offer from Northern Arizona. Watson has had some initial thoughts about these schools and their conferences that he is in contact with.

Big Sky Conference (Eastern Washington, Montana, and Northern Arizona): Watson says, "The Big Sky is a rising conference in my opinion and are bringing in a lot of very good athletes that have a lot to prove which will help their teams to build success."

Mountain West Conference (Boise State, Colorado State, Nevada, San Diego State, and UNLV): "The Mountain West is a really good conference too and I think they get overshadowed and are under rated as well. They have really good teams such as San Diego State and they are a favorite of mine as well. I'm a Cali kind of boy and I love beaches so that is probably my favorite MWC team."

Pac-12 Conference (Arizona, Arizona State, Cal, Colorado, Oregon State, USC, Washington, and Washington State): "PAC-12 is the best conference to me on the west coast or half of the USA. It is my favorite conference because you get the same level of competition as you do on the east side of the USA. I know it will be even more competitive because of Colorado and Utah now because they didn't enter that conference for no reason."

Western Athletic Conference (Fresno State, Idaho, and San Jose State): " The WAC I think is more of a passing conference which I wouldn't mind at all playing in. Also because I'm from Hawaii and I was raised in San Jose. And Boise State really built that conference into a big name now. So, I'm looking for the WAC to be able to compete with the Pac-12 in a few years."

Watson will be doing his version of the Interstate 5 road trip during this summer. He will go to football camps at Cal, Fresno State, Idaho, Nevada, San Diego State, San Jose State, and USC with a possible return camp visit to Oregon State. And yes, I-5 technically spans only California, Oregon, and Washington - so, Watson will have to find other highway junctions to Idaho and Nevada.

In addition, Watson says, "I have 24 organized summer workouts with my team this year and they are very intense. I am also going to be working out on my own to get my weight up to a solid 215 pounds before the season. And my team has a lot of passing leagues and tournament camps that we are going to this summer."

High school quarterbacks will always emulate NFL quarterbacks. Here are some thoughts from Watson about some current NFL quarterbacks.

Tom Brady: "I used to get tired of hearing his name but over the years and the more I've grown as a quarterback, the more I appreciate his work on the field. He knows everything that's going on the field like he rehearsed it with his opponent's defense the week before. And nobody really talks about his strong arm and accuracy but it's amazing! I can see why people don't really talk about that because they are so appreciative of his smartness and leadership."

Josh Freeman: "He is big and his size to me is just as big as his upside! He came in his rookie year and did very well with all of his 4th quarter comebacks and he backed it up with his outstanding season last season. He is a very well polished quarterback that will do a lot of great things in the future."

Aaron Rodgers: "He is amazing and is a very smart quarterback. His arm strength is out of this world. He can throw a 15 yard out like a quick hitch and he is just an electrifying player!"

Zac McNally is the recruiting contact that facilitated the first offer from Northern Arizona for Watson. If things go as plan in his senior season, then more offers should be rolling in. Watch for big things from Watson in Pittsburg.


No comments:

Post a Comment

virool