Friday, July 27, 2012

Article 325: A chat with Fenton

July 27, 2012

Central Catholic's John Fenton has had an eventful summer so far. He recently returned from the Reebok Breakout Challenge in Philadelphia. The 2013 post prospect from Modesto also has seen his recruiting pick up since last summer. Fenton is also playing with Fresno-based Organized Chaos during the July evaluation period.

The Reebok Challenge was a positive experience for Fenton. "The Reebok Challenge was great," said Fenton. "The competition was some of the best I've seen. I got to play against guys who I will probably see again in college competition. It got me a lot more exposure and I think I grew as a player from it."

Last summer, Fenton played with national prospect and eventual Stanford commit, Grant Verhoeven from Central Valley Christian School. "I learned a lot from Grant," says Fenton. "I played with a kid who had offers everywhere so I got to see where I should try to be as a player. I learned how to play against Division I type players and got better at adjusting my game in order to be more successful. Grant also has a great attitude towards his teammates. He has helped me become more cohesive with my teammates. I learned that the recruiting process could be crazy. Calls all the time from coaches, and coaches lining up to see Grant play. It is very busy but exciting."

Fenton's game was raw but full of potential last summer. "I have improved the most with awareness and reacting to how the defender plays me," says Fenton. "I have been working a lot on facing the basket to make quick moves. Last summer, I did not face the basket as much."

Organized Chaos Coach Chris Stahowski assesses Fenton's improvement. "John's footwork and ability to finish around the basket. He has worked on stepping his range out to 15 feet and his mobility has become better."

The 6-foot-9 and 230 pounds post prospect has gotten offers from Colgate, Holy Cross, and Pacific. He has serious interest from American University, Dartmouth, Denver University, James Madison, Santa Clara, and Yale.

Fenton has this take on the recruiting process so far. "There are several different conferences I am interested in. But I mainly want to play for a school with great academics and a nice campus. I think any schools from the Ivy League or Patriot League fit that well. I am hoping to get more looks from the West Coast. I do not prefer the West Coast but I want to have a lot of options."

"John would succeed in a system that runs double bigs," says Stahowski. "A team that runs half court sets and will defend the heck out of it in the half court."

Stahowski would like to see Fenton improve in certain aspects of the game still. "He still needs to find a counter move with his back to the basket. I'd like to see him be a little more comfortable going to the middle from the block."

"I feel like I need to work on getting more balanced when I make post moves," says Fenton. "I need to improve on finishing more around the rim with contested shots."

As July wraps up, Fenton should be getting further inquiries from college programs. Central Catholic finished a strong 26-7 this past season and returns a strong core including Fenton to build on. Watch for this treat to be unwrapped on the recruiting trail during the upcoming season in Modesto, Calif.


No comments:

Post a Comment

virool