Monday, July 21, 2014

Article 375: Kone moving up

July 21, 2014

Transition is always a constant in life. For the typical high school student athlete, moving is always a challenge.

After making the move from Salesian High in Richmond to Archbishop Mitty in San Jose, Ben Kone was instrumental as a starter in helping the Monarchs to a 27-5 record in the West Catholic Athletic League (WCAL) and second round finish in the Northern California Open playoffs. The 6-foot-9 and 240 pounds power forward averaged 17 points, 14 rebounds, and 4 assists.

Kone faced the move and the competition in the WCAL head on. He says, "I learned how to focus. You can see the results just from my free throw percentage increasing from 50% to 85% over the season. Coming in to Mitty and the WCAL, I faced larger crowds that were very vocal and directing things at me specifically. It was the best thing that could have happened because now I have the ability to focus completely on the game."

After playing for the Oakland Soldiers 16U Elite club, Kone will be moving to the Oakland Soldiers 17U Elite club for the Big Foot event in Las Vegas this week. Kone says, "It's been really great. The talent level continues to get stronger on each team I've been on over the years with the Soldiers. I'm excited about moving up to the 17U Elite team."

Oakland Soldiers 16U Elite Coach Ansar Al-Ameen says, "Ben's ability to score around the basket and in the mid post is his strengths. He is a tenacious player on the open. He is a strong influence on the out come of the game when he is on the court."

The No. 2 prospect in the initial 2016 NCP rankings has been working on ball handling, shots off the dribble, and overall fitness. He wants to play a more proactive offensive role in the upcoming season. Kone says, "I'm really trying to turn myself from a four to a stretch three and I'm really looking for a coach that supports that. I like to pass. I like to dribble the ball."

Cal, Cal Poly SLO, Montana, New Mexico, Oregon, Pepperdine, San Jose State, UC Davis, and UC Irvine have been inquiring while New Mexico State (Aerick Sanders) has given him an offer. Kone made an unofficial visit to Cal and plans to make most of his trips next summer.

Al-Ameen who previously was an assistant coach at Prairie View A&M says, "He has made a lot of progress this summer. He has been playing with an increased sense of urgency. He wants the college coaches to see that he is getting better from game to game. I believe he can play at a high major level. As he continues to develop, he'll be ready to play at a Division I level."

The experience of playing at a high level in both the WCAL and Oakland Soldiers program has made Kone realize that he must be prepared mentally and physically. The punishment of being a starter and the physical contact in the post contributes to that necessity. Kone says, "It's a marathon not a sprint. At Mitty, we tend to have very long seasons and post seasons. As the primary post player, my body took a beating and as a first year starter I didn't know how to manage that over a long season. My biggest lesson has been to take care of my body by eating well, sleeping right, icing regularly, and just staying on top of things more proactively. My team depends on me and I take that seriously."

Kone has also had a good relationship with his high school coach in his first year. He says, "TK (Tim Kennedy) is not only a coach. He is turning into a friend for me. Having a coach I can be on the same page with was huge. We talk through offensive stuff constantly. He'll take the time and go three hours with me on the chalkboard. A lot of coaches don't really do that. I bought in."

As the summer ends, watch for Kone to continue moving forward for the Monarchs in San Jose, Calif.


No comments:

Post a Comment

virool