Monday, November 5, 2012

Article 334: Fenton heading east

October 17, 2012

Last month, Central Catholic's John Fenton pulled the trigger and decided to commit to Colgate University, which is located in Hamilton, New York. The 6-foot-9 and 230 pounds post prospect likes the program for playing a tough schedule that includes Syracuse, Illinois, Marquette, and Providence in the upcoming season. In addition, Fenton played open gym sessions with the current roster and felt he could fit in.

From an academic perspective, he felt the school is one of the top academic schools in the country. He likes their academic reputation and the basketball team has a 100 percent graduation rate.

Coach Mark Linebaugh was his primary recruiter but Fenton had a positive opinion of the entire coaching staff. "My primary recruiter was Coach Linebaugh and I really connected over the process," said Fenton. "I get a sense that he knows who I am, and having played and graduated from Colgate, I see him as a great role model. Head Coach Matt Langel is smart, young, and energetic. He has assembled a staff that has similar qualities. On my visit, I enjoyed all five of the coaches and I could really see myself playing for them."

Fenton played for his Fresno based club, Organized Chaos, over the summer. Organized Chaos Coach Chris Stahowski thinks Fenton is a good fit at Colgate. "Colgate is looking to play John at the 5," said Stahowski. "That will let him play with his back to the basket more. Playing a more half-court game allows John to play to his strengths of containing the paint and finishing plays off by rebounding."

Fenton has always come across as being friendly and the consummate team player. As a result, meeting the Colgate roster was important to him on his visit. "I really enjoyed spending time with the team," said Fenton. "I felt like I had some things in common with the players. On my visit, I had many laughs and definitely felt like I would have great friends and teammates as soon as I stepped on campus my freshmen year."

Colgate currently has three centers on the roster with only one returning during Fenton's freshman year. "As a freshmen I expect to help the team anyway I can," said Fenton. "I will get on the court when needed and help us win more games."

During his senior season at Modesto, Fenton expects to work on his offensive game and his body. He wants to finish more at the rim and be a more finesse player. He would like to put on about 15 to 20 pounds as well.

Coach Stahowski believes Fenton still has specific aspects of his game to improve. "He is much more comfortable with his back to the basket and feeling where a defense is at. He needs to work on his offensive arsenal. Add a more polished counter move to each block."

Fenton expects to officially sign on November 15. He expects to enroll by August as that is when school starts. Watch as Fenton goes from being a Raider in Modesto this fall to being a Raider in upstate New York next fall.


No comments:

Post a Comment

virool