Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Article 301: Dickey to ride with Gauchos

May 7, 2012

The St. Francis Lancers finished this past season with a mediocre 14-13 but senior forward Drew Dickey averaged 13.3 points and 7.4 rebounds in his senior campaign. Year over year, Dickey has bulked up and shown more aggression in the post as a physical player who goes after rebounds. His efforts will see him ride off to UC Santa Barbara next year as a walk-on player.

"I chose UCSB because they have a winning tradition and the work ethic of the team that I was able to see when I went to visit was impressive," says Dickey. "Every member of the team works hard and plays to win, and that drive is something that is vital in a team."

The Gauchos have gone to the NCAA Tournament two of the past three years while winning the Big West Championship in those two years. The team has also had two 20 win seasons in that time frame as well.

The 6-foot-9 and 220 pounder made the decision to be a recruited walk-on after his mid-month visit last month. "Coach Matt Stock recruited me," says Dickey. "The coaches were very welcoming and provided me with a closer look into the team as well as the school, which allowed me to realize that UCSB was the right fit for me."

Six seniors from the Gauchos will have graduated from this season's roster. Of note, Orlando Johnson is expected to be a shooting guard drafted in the second round of the upcoming NBA draft. In addition, 7-foot-3 Greg Somogyi prepped at Woodside Priory as a local product.

Dickey says, "Every single one of the players was very welcoming and I was able to blend in very well with the style of play. I felt good playing with the team, and the players all made it clear that I would fit in well."

The returning roster will have a Bay Area feel for Dickey as well. Players from the area include Oakland High's TJ Taylor, Castlemont's John Green, and De La Salle's Duke Dare.

Dickey already has mapped out his plans when arriving on campus. "As a freshman I plan to redshirt, which will provide me an extra year of working out and practicing to grow into my role on the team," says Dickey. "I feel that another year to develop my body and skills will be very beneficial for me, and I look forward to getting started."

In addition, Dickey wants to focus on certain basketball skills. "I am working on my overall strength as well as my footwork/quickness," says Dickey. "I hope to play the 4 position, allowing me to play both inside and out, and with good footwork and quickness it should be a much easier transition."

UC Santa Barbara offers a world-class education in an ideal location. The academics are strong and a degree from UCSB will provide Dickey with opportunities after college. The university has produced five Nobel Laureates, all of which were awarded since 1998.

Dickey will look to wrap up in Mountain View soon. Dickey says, "I am enrolling and beginning my college life on August 2nd. School doesn't start officially until mid-September but the extra month and a half will allow me to spend time working out with the team as well as getting used to campus life and my classes. I can't wait to get started in August." Watch for this future Gaucho to ride off to the Santa Barbara coast.


No comments:

Post a Comment

virool